Tag - billion dollar house india

Billion Dollar House in India “Antilia” Can Make It Snow — Indoors!

The emergence of countries such as China and India in the recent decades has led to significant changes in these countries. There are massive income gaps and both the obscenely wealthy and horribly impoverished are common. While some in India have become billionaires, many more struggle to survive. The country is site some of the worst slums in all of Asia, with 42% of the entire world’s underweight children under five years old living there. Amidst all this, are many billionaires — and even a billion dollar house.

Mukesh Ambani is one such billionaire. He is the fifth richest man in the world with an estimated net worth of $43 billion dollars, making him India’s wealthiest full time resident (the world’s fourth richest man is also Indian but resides in the United Kingdom). Mukesh made his wealth as head of the Mumbai based petrochemical company Reliance Industries which was founded by his father in 1966. He has built the most expensive, and perhaps most ostentatious personal residence on the globe today, calling it Antilia.

27 story billion dollar home in India "Antilia"

27 story billion dollar home in India “Antilia”

Image Credit: Vanity Fair

Antilia rises 27 stories, though it is the equivalent of a 40 story building due to many levels being double height. It replaces his family’s previous residence, which was a mere 22 story residence. Mukesh, his wife and their three children had shared the tower with his wife and mother.

The cost of Antilia is massive. Rises in the surrounding land value sent the originally estimated $700 million cost into the billions. The approximately 550 feet tower contains over 400,000 square feet of living space where each story’s cost was made higher due to the fact that no two floors are to look the same. Not even the same materials are to be used on more than one floor. They took great lengths to ensure that as much as possible of this expenditure stayed within the country. Less than 15% of materials were sourced from the United States, with the remaining 85% largely coming from around India.

The massive high rise has everything one could want and is perfect for entertaining. The six story garage has room for 168 cars, and should a guest wish to arrive by air there are three separate helipads on which to land. Obviously, the family has its sights on hosting many large, elaborate parties for the friends and business associates.

There are 9 separate elevators

There are 9 separate elevators

Image Credit: Vanity Fair

With room for so many guests, of course no expense was spared for the family’s personal ballroom. The massive space for entertaining features dual staircases adorned with silver and numerous sparkling chandeliers light up the room. The vast array of LCD screens and high-end speakers are sure to keep the party going strong. There is also an indoor/outdoor bar for use during the cocktail hour. And with so many wealthy powerful partygoers in attendance security personnel and attendants will be numerous, so the Ambanis have set aside a special room adjacent to the ballroom for their relaxation while their employers socialize. As the party begins to die down, those remaining may cap the night off with a nice film in the family’s personal 50 seat theatre.

The lavish ballroom is adorned in silver

The lavish ballroom is adorned in silver

Image Credit: Vanity Fair

The billion dollar home's theatre seats 50

The billion dollar home’s theatre seats 50

Image Credit: Vanity Fair

The little details are prevalent everywhere. Everything has been arranged throughout using the Indian art of Vaastu which is similar to Feng Shui. There is an entire floor devoted to health, with an outdoor patio, swimming pool and yoga studio. Should the day prove too hot for the family’s guests, there is an ice room in which they can cool off under refreshing man-made snow flakes. Even the tower’s sinks have their own unique Indian touch. They are made in the shape of the native gingko leaf.

The large and incredibly expensive personal residence has of course been a source of controversy for the family. Should the pressure get to be too much, they can simply excuse themselves from the large number of staff who keep their home running and retire to their massive open-air atrium and look out for miles and miles to come at the city beneath them.

Source: Forbes, Business Insider, Antilia Wiki

Share the story of the billion dollar house with a friend!