If you’ve got an event or party coming up, these adorable nut-hugging bear cookies by French-trained Japanese cook Maa Tamagosan are guaranteed to be a hit. The way too cute treats were originally shared on her blog (view English translation here), where she shares her favorite cooking tips and recipes.
The adorable cookies are sure to be a delicious hit for any party. Obviously, some sort of fruit or perhaps a chocolate treat would be a necessary substitute for those with peanut allergies. And to see the process step-by-step, watch a video of Maa preparing the cookies at the end of this page.
The simple cookie bears use the following recipe (full instructions including ingredients here):
- Preheat Oven to 160C or 320F
- Combine cake flour, potato starch, salt, (and cinnamon) in a bowl with a whisk
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar syrup, honey, and salad oil with a whisk until all combined
- Combine both wet and dry mixture with spatula until it becomes a dough
- Roll the dough into a sheet
- Using a bear cookie cutter, cut out shape of bear
- With the tip of chopstick, make holes for eyes and noses
- Put an almond/walnut/cashew on top of the bear’s stomach
- Bending the hand of the bear to hug the nut. Press lightly to make it stay in place.
- Bake for 10 minutes, (for a lighter colored bear bake for 10-15 minutes under 150C/300F)